Version 2.1.0 of QuickShadow Backup is a major update which corrects a number of problems and annoyances:
- 0000157: [general] Allow backup set to select full/short destination path
Each backup set can now have the format of the destination path chosen between the full source path (as before) or a trimmed form of the source path
- 0000139: [operating system compatibility] Suspend/Hibernate
Major changes have been included to detect and handle operating system suspend / hibernate and resume, especially while copy operations were in progress.
- 0000145: [watch files and folders] Fails if source is a network drive.
Sources that were network drives would sometimes raise errors or not work as expected. A major rewrite has seen significant improvements. Source drives that are remote are prompted for conversion to UNC form – this should be used.
- 0000152: [general] Single instance detection across RDP sessions
Server operating systems with terminal services would allow the program to be run several times in different logon sessions, causing failures and confusion. The program now detects if it is being run across different logon sessions and allows only a single instance.
- 0000137: [general] Need a utility to scrub old versions
Especially on Vista and Windows 7, finding and removing old versions of files (when the versioning feature is used) can be difficult. A new utility is added which searches for old versions of files and allows them the be deleted.
- 0000092: [general] Option to warn when destination is getting full
New feature added to allow a warning to a user when a destination is low on free space.
- 0000136: [watch files and folders] Word 2007 / Excel 2007 – backup failing
Added a checkbox to allow fast rename optimisation to be disabled. This was previously the default but Word 2007 and later save files in unusual ways leading in some cases to old versions on the backup being unavailable.
- 0000151: [operating system compatibility] Wont auto-start on server 2003
Corrected a problem where the program would not auto-start on logon – only on Windows Server 2003.
- 0000155: [synchronise] QS counts wrong number of files synced
QS used to count the number of files AND folders (including the “.” and “..” entries in each folder. This has been corrected.
- 0000153: [installer] QS installer should run program
The installer now includes an option which can be used to run the program after installation.
- 0000150: [synchronise] Confusion about manual sync causing no auto sync
Previous versions would not perform an automatic sync if a manual sync was performed earlier the same day. This caused confusion. A manual sync now has no effect on the running of an automatic sync.
- 0000138: [synchronise] User reports auto-sync stopped working
In some cases and combinations of circumstances a scheduled sync would not run. This is corrected.
- 0000148: [help, descriptions and FAQ] Help for setup is not clear
The help for setup has been rewritten an improved.
- 0000147: [general] Take account of NAS sleep
Improvements have been made to handle cases where a NAS spins down disks to save power.
- 0000146: [general] Directory choosing dialogs dont have Make New Folder option
Dialogs that allow selecting a folder / directory now include a button to allow a new one to be made.
- 0000144: [logs] Log when old version removed from backup
Old versions that are removed from a backup destination are logged.
- 0000143: [watch files and folders] Improve error for watch files failed
In the event that watching files / folders fails, more information about the cause of the failure is available.